LCVP is a Senior Cycle Programme designed to give a vocational dimension to the Leaving Certificate (established). This two-year programme combines the academic strengths of the Leaving Certificate with a dynamic focus on self-directed learning, enterprise, work and the community. LCVP students take two additional courses, called Link Modules, in the areas of Preparation for the World of Work and Enterprise Education.
LCVP gives our students at Loreto High School Beaufort the opportunity to develop organisational, communicative, decision making and social skills through their application in realistic situations.
The primary goal of the LCVP is to prepare young people for adult life by ensuring that they are educated in the broadest sense, with an ability to cope and thrive in an environment of rapid change. Participants in the programme are encouraged to develop skills and competencies fundamental to both academic and vocational success.
Throughout the programme students are encouraged to:
• Be innovative and enterprising
• Take responsibility for their own learning
• Adapt to changing circumstances
• Evaluate data and devise solutions to problems
• Communicate their thoughts and ideas effectively
• Work with others as part of a team
• Investigate and plan career options
• Use information and communications technologies
• Investigate local business and community enterprises
• Learn from their experiences
Active teaching and learning methodologies are used in the LCVP. Experiences such as work placements, career investigations, mini-enterprises, business and community visits are an integral part of the programme and requires a considerable time commitment.
• must take a minimum of five Leaving Certificate subjects (at Higher, Ordinary or Foundation Level) including Irish. Students who are exempt from studying Irish, must take additional subject(s) to ensure that they present a minimum of five Leaving Certificate subjects in their Leaving Certificate examination.
• must study the two Link Modules, namely Preparation for the World of Work and Enterprise Education.
The Link Modules
Link Module I – Preparation for the World of Work
This module is designed to develop students’ general understanding of the world of work, introduce them to career research and provide them with the knowledge and skills to find employment. As part of this module each student is expected to complete a career investigation and engage in a work experience or work shadowing placement.
Link Module II – Enterprise Education
This module aims to develop creativity, resourcefulness, self-confidence and initiative. Students are encouraged to interview enterprising people, investigate local enterprises and to set up their own enterprise projects as vehicles of learning.
The Link Modules are graded on both a written exam (May of Leaving Cert Year) and a Portfolio of Coursework which is written over the two years.
Written exam: 40%
LCVP students receive the same certificate as students of the Leaving Certificate (established). An additional statement of the grade received for the Link Modules is appended to the certificate.
The Link Modules grading system:
• Distinction (80 – 100%) 66 points
• Merit (65 – 79%) 46 points
• Pass (50 – 64%) 28 points